Evernote is wildly popular among people concerned with being more productive in information-focused jobs. I use it. You should try it out because:
1. tags and notebooks make research searchable, searchable means findable, and findable means ‘not wasting your time doing the research’;
2. optical character recognition means you can search for keywords among your hand-written notes – take a photo of your notes;
3. audio notes can be tagged and made searchable;
4. archive pdfs, web pages (use evernote clipper) and sketches (use skitch).
5. share notes by making them public.